Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Helping with a move


After I started working with the time bank I checked out time banks in other cities. I found a very active one in Milwaukee where I have an elderly friend. She was immediately interested and I signed her up. 

She is making great use of the time bank right now to help her with packing up her home for a sad but ultimately positive move to an apartment. She has needed help with cleaning, small repairs, making decisions, packing the cherished things she'll take, discarding decades of collecting - and making piles for an estate sale. 

It's stressful, and I guess there is no other way it could be after a lifetime in her home.
There is a great deal of coordinating tasks and people that I think is taxing for her - but she is so glad to have all these young people in her life, showing up and helping. For some of them she is combining time exchange with a portion of hourly pay. 

I wish I could be there to help but knowing she has great people with her is a great relief.
Here is Kyoko Morris.

No comments:

Post a Comment